Summertime is a time for fun in the sun, but it can also be a time for nasty rashes. If you’re like us, you want to enjoy all that summer has to offer, without having to worry about getting an unexpected rash. In this article, we’ll discuss three common plants that can cause irritation and skin rashes. Read on for what you need to know about these plants, how to avoid them, and also how to treat them.
1. Poison Ivy
Poison ivy. That three-leaved menace that seems to pop up everywhere in the summertime. If you’re unlucky enough to come into contact with it, you’ll be itching and swelling in no time.
To identify poison ivy look for:
- Groupings of 3 leaves
- Leaves may be shiny or dull
- This plant may grow along ground as well as “climb”
https://pixabay.com/photos/leaf-growth-flora-nature-outdoors-3334322/ (Free for commercial use – no attribution required)
But what exactly is poison ivy, and why does it cause such misery?
Poison ivy is a type of plant that contains a chemical called urushiol. When the plant’s leaves or stems are touched, the urushiol is released and can cause an allergic reaction in some people. The reaction manifests as an itchy, red rash that can last for weeks. In severe cases, the rash may blister and swell. Poison ivy is found throughout North America, so if you’re spending time outdoors, it’s best to be on the lookout for it.
If you do come into contact with poison ivy, the first step is to wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible. This will help to remove the urushiol and reduce the severity of the reaction. You can also apply a topical corticosteroid cream to help relieve the itchiness. If your symptoms are severe or if you have a known allergy to poison ivy, you should see a health care provider immediately.
2. Poison Oak
Poison oak is a plant that can cause a rash on the skin. The rash is caused by an allergic reaction to the oil from the plant. The oil is found in the leaves, stems, and fruits of the plant. It can also be found in the roots and flowers.
To identify poison oak, look for:
- Green leaves in groups of three or more leaflets.
- Leaves are shaped similarly to an oak leaf
- Grows as a shrub or a vine
- The middle leaflet has a longer stem than the other two leaflets
Poison oak usually grows in wooded areas, but it can also be found in open fields and gardens. People who come into contact with poison oak may develop a rash within 12 to 48 hours. The rash will appear where the skin came into contact with the oil from the plant, as well as anywhere else the oil touches.
https://unsplash.com/photos/Z_JF_BjNbZY (Free to use under the Unsplash License)
3. Poison Sumac
Poison sumac (Toxicodendron vernix) is a woody shrub or small tree that is found in wet areas, such as swamps or bogs. The sap contains a substance known as urushiol, which is also found in poison oak and poison ivy. When urushiol comes into contact with the skin, it triggers an immune reaction that can lead to dermatitis, or inflammation of the skin and rash.
To identify poison sumac, look for:
- 7-13 leaflets on a stem
- May have berries in spring and summer
- Look for double rows of leaves along the stem
- Leaves may change color from green in spring and summer to oranges and reds in fall
Proposed Image: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/close-view-white-berries-poison-sumac-2079960757
4. How to avoid these plants
As anyone who has had the misfortune of coming into contact with poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac can attest, these plants can cause a very uncomfortable rash. Surely, this can easily ruin an outdoor family gathering or hiking adventure not just in the hours during and following the event, but in the days and weeks ahead.
As with many health-related issues, prevention is the best cure! Thankfully, there are a few simple steps that can be taken to avoid these plants altogether. First, it is important to learn to recognize them. All three plants tend to grow in wooded areas, but they can also be found in backyards or along rivers and streams. If you are planning to hike or camp in an area where these plants are known to grow, it is important to wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts to protect your skin.
Remember, avoiding a rash doesn’t stop at only keeping your skin from touching these plants. Wash your clothing immediately after a hike, as the oils from these plants can transfer to other surfaces. If you have a dog along with you, it’s a good idea to give them a bath after your hike is done.
Finally, wash your skin gently with cool, soapy water to remove any traces of oil from these plants.
5.Treatment for Poison Ivy, Poison Oak or Poison Sumac Skin Rashes
Should you come into contact with one of these “poison plants” and develop a rash, there are a few things you can do to ease your discomfort. First, it is important to wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible. This will help to remove the oil that is causing the reaction. Next, you can apply a cool compress to the affected area to help reduce swelling and itchiness. There are a few over-the-counter treatments that may provide relief as well, such as:
- Calamine lotion
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Oatmeal baths
It’s important to not itch and scratch the rash, as this can lead to secondary infections.
If you are not getting relief, seek the assistance of a dermatology professional, such as The Derm NP, where a Dermatology Certified Nurse Practitioner can treat the condition either through Telehealth or an Asynchronous appointment. Depending on the severity of your rash, additional treatments may be suggested or prescribed as needed.
Additionally, if the rash is severe or if you have any other symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your next outdoor adventure is a fun and enjoyable one. Summer is short so make the most of it. Just be sure to watch out for those poison plants!
|In line images have link with information, but attribution not required.|
For envato image:
Image credit: fotyma | Envato Elements
Disclaimer: The information contained here was not written by a medical doctor and is intended for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for medical advice.